Thursday, April 15, 2010

Small Talkin'

If there was ever a piece of advice that I could offer to the younger generation, it would be to strongly consider your career path while you're young.  Not because it'll earn you more money, but mainly because it will make small talk much easier.

As long as I've been an adult, I don't think I've ever had a conversation with someone that didn't involve my job.  You'll see, once you reach about 21-22, every conversation with each new person you meet will start like this:

stranger: "Hi, I'm _____"
me: "Nice to meet you, I'm Fece"
stranger: "Hi Fece.  So... what do you do?"

Sure it doesn't sound so bad but trust me, after the 400th time it starts to get annoying.  Lately I've been keeping time in my head, seeing how long it takes for this question to come up.  For me, I'll use it as a crutch if there's nothing else but most others will whip it out from the get go.  Now I don't have a bad job, but it's just hard to explain to people who don't know what it is.  It's nothing common like a doctor, lawyer, teacher... so most of the time I end up trying to explain it until the other person just gives up and nods.  Sometimes they yawn too, which is hilarious.

Why do we do this to ourselves??  I feel like I'm being judged by what I do for a living, with my approval rating slowly sinking as each word flies over their heads.  Shoot, I'm more bored than they are and I'm the one talking.  There's gotta be a better route to friendship.  Maybe we could try something different like, "Nice to meet you, I'm Fece. What is your biggest regret in life?".  I think you would get a lot more out of someone that way

4 comments:

  1. Hey! My psychology teacher talked about this one time in class. She suggested that next time we meet someone new, ask, "if you could have any superhero power, what would it be and why?" I tried it on Phil... and now we're married, kekekeke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool.. I have to make sure I don't try that on a guy then keke

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha what is your biggest regret in life? can we say overshare?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because of the job market and the unemployment rate, I've avoided the "what do you do?" question.

    I usually just say, "what's new these days" or "what'd you been up to?" But, when I meet with judges and lawyers, to whom "what do you do?" would be a stupid question, I just ask:

    was your last one a sinker or floater?

    ReplyDelete