Thursday, April 29, 2010

Gotcha sucka!

me: "Hello, Fece speaking"
co-worker: "Hi Fece, I was wondering if you could help me with something.  Do you know who the contact person would be for negotiating site contracts?"
me: "Hmm.. I'm guessing Carol?"
co-worker: "Oh ok.. thanks.  You know what, do you think you could reach out to Carol and...?"

wait-..Whhaaaaaat??

About 3 out of 5 phone calls that I receive from this person happen just like this.  It usually starts out as a simple inquiry, then it becomes a trap.  But I don't think this is a superiority issue.  This co-worker and I are supposed to be considered equals on the hierarchy (although her job function is more involved than mine so I would understand if she felt she was higher on the chain).  I think it's just a matter social etiquette.  I mean you just can't set people up like that maaannn.  If you have a question, I can give you guidance but in the end you gotta handle your own business.  And I don't even know the background of the issue!  What am I gonna say to Carol once I contact her??

And what's worse?  She's actually a nice person, which makes it even harder to correct... for me anyways.  I never liked correcting people, ESPECIALLY when they take it well.  It just makes me feel bad afterward.  It's like once they concede, I instantly absorb their embarrassment and then I start apologizing.  Aye... but one of these days, I need to figure out a nice way to say "do it yourself".  In the mean time, I'll continue to take it and just vent about it on my blog like a good passive-aggressive Asian



*note - in order to protect the privacy of those involved, the names and events have been changed.  All except Fece.. that's my real name

4 comments:

  1. you could always try...i don't know? haha
    omw?

    ReplyDelete
  2. next time...
    co-worker: "Hello, Mike McButts speaking."
    fece: "Do you know where the bathroom is?"
    co-worker: "Yea, it's down the hall to the left."
    fece: "Oh ok.. thanks. You know what, do you think you could drop a big feces in there for me?"

    On a lighter note:
    The word faeces is the plural of the Latin word fæx meaning "dregs". There is no singular form in the English language, making it a plurale tantum. - Wikipedia. It took me a long time to research the singular of feces. Turns out there is none, they always come in bunches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "on a lighter note".. haha cuz the first part of your post was so serious

    interesting point about feces.. why bother making a singular form of the word when it doesn't exist in nature?

    ReplyDelete
  4. u could always use the age-old way of turning people down.
    "No!"
    haha i'm sure that'll score some appreciation points from this person :P

    ReplyDelete